Sunday, November 30, 2008
A Book for Me!
I have little time to read anything that doesn't have to do with school. And I actually did my first review on one that I didn't read for pleasure but more to relate to my students. So, this past weekend (after the Razorbacks beat LSU!) I read Sense and Sensibility. I love historical fiction and I really enjoy Jane Austen. After watching the biographical movie this summer, I decided to re-read Pride and Prejudice, but I had never read SS until now. This is a bit darker than PP, but I kind of like it that way. It is the story of three sisters and their mother who must adjust to a small income after the father dies and they are forced to leave their estate with their half-brother. Then, of course, comes some hard times, love, lovers scorned, and eventually everyone ends up happily ever after...except maybe for Willoughby. This is one of those that I could read over and over and never get tired of it, though not one that will continue to change for me each time I read it as so many others do. It's not overly inspirational...but it is a place to go and half the enjoyment of reading for me is the escape of the everyday world. It is one of those books that my grandmother used to call 'feel-goods': it makes you laugh, probably cry, but at the end you are probably smiling (and crying too!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment